12/28/2009

It's Complicated - Legally Related Movie Review No. 1

It's Complicated not only has a main character who is a lawyer (Alec Baldwin's role), it deals with lots of stuff that family lawyers will appreciate.  Divorce, the kids after the divorce, adulterous liasons, ... you get the idea.  You never know what kind of law that Baldwin's character practices, but he's gotta be a trial lawyer.     

Family lawyers will probably think this film is a hoot in ways that others won't. Here's what I thought (my background isn't family law) .... 


After reading the reviews over at Rotten Tomatoes, I was prepared to like this movie only for its sets and its setting (Santa Barbara) ... but I was pleasantly surprised. Let's get this out of the way -- Santa Barbara is a beautiful backdrop and that house is fantastic, altho the garden was definitely Hollywood magic. No weeds, uniformly red and round tomatoes, etc.

This movie is funny. I laughed out loud on several occasions, as did the rest of the audience. I don't know that it's worthy of a best picture Oscar (pa-leeze! I've seen some online chatter suggesting this), but if you are looking for a movie akin to Something's Gotta Give and are wary of being disappointed by another Last Chance Harvey, rest assured. "It's Complicated" is worth the price of admission, lawyer or not.

Go.

No comments: