|Whitey Bulger's Mugshot|
He’s facing charges of racketeering as well as 19 separate murder charges and his pretty blonde girlfriend, Catherine Greig, has been busted too (she already been convicted and sentenced to eight years incarceration for helping Whitey hide from the law).
Starting tomorrow, 675 people who make up the jury pool will begin the process of making their way to the Moakley Courthouse each morning as the judge and attorneys on both sides work to find 18 people out of that group to serve as the 12 jurors and 6 alternates in a trial that is sure to take months and months to complete.
Whitey Bulger Story is a Fascinating Story to Many: Best Sellers, Big Movie
This is a big deal for many people, in many ways. There’s already a couple of bestselling books detailing the life of this alleged mobster, and there’s also a big time movie in the works. (Johnny Depp was cast to play the role of Whitey, but he quit this week in an apparent salary dispute.)
No fictionalized version of things this time. Follow this trial carefully and it may prove better than any award-winning fiction. This is the real deal, and it's pretty darn spooky (and this from reading only the pleadings filed in the public record.)
Lessons in Real World Organized Crime: The Structure of the "Cosa Nostra"
Summarizing from the first few pages of this indictment:
- "La Cosa Nostra"
- "stu Cosa"
- "The Mafia"
- "This Thing of Ours," and
- “This Thing”. (Who knew? I never heard of "this thing" for the Mafia before, did you?)
- “The Patriarca Family of La Cosa Nostra (the "Family"), which operated in the Districts of Massachusetts,on July 11, 1984 and who was then succeeded by his son, Raymond J. Patriarca, aka "Junior," until he was succeeded by the defendant FRANCIS P. SALEMME.“
- “The Patriarca Family existed and acted in conformity with the rules of La Cosa Nostra (LCN).“
- The head man (or CEO as it were) is the "Boss."
- His right hand man is the "Underboss."
- His advisor and counselor is the Family’s "Consigliere."
- Below the Underboss are a number of "Capo Regimes" or "Capos", men who are each in charge of a group of members who are their “crew.”
- Within the crew, each member is a “made man” known as a “Soldier.”
- Associates to the family are those who help the organization succeed and act with the Family members but these Associates are not officially “made” members of the Family.
More in my next post.